Monday, July 21, 2003

When someone is offering you a hand, take it.

One of my students told me that she had didn't have her assignment to hand in, because she left it at home. So I told her that I had to submit it today, and suggested that she re-write it quickly in order to get credit for it. So she starts to complain about having to do "double work", how I'm "unreasonable" and asked why she should have to do it over again. So I suspected that she hadn't done it in the first place, and asked her to tell me a little about what she did. She didn't even have a good story, and it kept changing. So I told her that my hands are tied, and I have to have something to submit. She then proceeds to "ask" me "So why don't you stick up for us? Why are you just leaving us blowing in the wind?" First, I don't know who this "us" is that she was talking about, she was the only one without her assignment. Second, what makes her think I should (or would) stick up for her when for the last two classes, all she's done is be difficult in class? So, now I'm offering her a chance to do the work she hasn't done, and she not only doesn't want to do it, she wants me to "stick up" for her. Sometimes all I can say is "WOW!"

No comments: