Thursday, May 13, 2004

Acting "ghetto"

Every now and then, we take the students to an event (a play, a film showing, a gallery, etc..), as a type of "cultural awareness" activity. Now, I do get defensive about "my ladies" (my students are all females) and don't like people talking bad about them, or talking down to them. So, I'm not saying our students are "culturally ignorant brutes who don't know how to act", nor am I saying they are "perfect little angels who always sit with their hands crossed"... let's leave it at "they're a bit rough around the edges".

So while at play, I overheard a few students complaining about something. When I asked what was going on, they said "people are complaining that we act 'ghetto'. I was going to smack her, but I didn't want to make any trouble for you guys." (whew!) Also, I knew a few of the theater students (who were in the audience), and they called my students "kids", in a derogatory manner, well within earshot of my students. (not a good thing)

First, when you're in a play, it's better to have a "ghetto" audience, than no audience. So don't complain about your audience unless they're throwing stuff at you, and then, it might be your bad acting.

Second, if you do have a complaint, don't let your audience hear you BEFORE, DURING, or AFTER the play. It will only influence their preception of your performance.

Third, don't poke an angry dog. If you really believe someone acts "ghetto", then why provoke them? You know it'll just turn out bad, for both of you. AND, it also means you are just as "ghetto" as they are. Didn't your parents' ever teach you it's impolite to critisize people?

Fourth, If you are going to complain about how someone is acting, take the high road! AT THE VERY LEAST don't do the exact same thing you just complained about. Someone next to me complained about how some of my students were stepping over people to get to their seat, that "they should have gotten in earlier" and then said "she's so ghetto, I bet she won't even turn off her cell phone." After the intermission, THAT SAME theater student came back in late and clumped around over people to get to her seat. And then, not FIVE minutes into the play, her cell phone went off! AND, she sat there and text-messaged with someone, while the play was going on!

What was funny is that a few "theater people" (students and staff) were complaining about there not being "any reserved seating for us" (they got there late). Probably because then they'd end up complaining about themselves, and have to actually acknowledge that they themselves act "ghetto".

No comments: