Thursday, July 29, 2004

"No, Mama." "Yes, Papi."

Why is it that when someone realizes that you speak Spanish, they throw in "Mama", "Mami" or "Papi" into the conversation? I get, and see, a lot of that. "No, Mama, you can't do that. This is how you do it." And non-Spanish speaking people will throw in an Spanish accent. I know this guy who has a heavy accent (not Spanish), and when he says "Mami", he throws in this HEAVY Spanish accent. Even Spanish speaking people will quickly switch accents in mid-sentence. I'm not sure if they're trying to relate, or make a connection, or if they feel they "need to". But sometimes it feels a bit awkward.

Better yet, is when a "non-native" speaker suddenly talks in Spanish in mid-conversation. "So I went to see that new movie I was telling you about, and it was EXCELLENT. But I didn't like the actress. She's... I don't know, too tall or something. Tu sabes? Maybe someone shorter would have been better. Me entiendes? Algien mas bonita."

Just because I speak Spanish, and you have some knowledge of it, doesn't mean you should/could speak it.

No comments: