Tuesday, January 04, 2005

"Ooh! Let me help!"

What's worse than a student who doesn't pay attention? One that pays too much attention.

I was about to start a lesson, when one student told me that she wanted to help me. She'd work the computer (hooked up to a projector) while I explained at the board. As I explained, I had to help her focus on what I was doing, instead of going ahead of the lesson. At one point, I asked her to list some names, she listed a few names of her classmates. When I asked to list a certain pay rate, she listed a different amount. I asked her to change it, she didn't. I asked again, maybe she didn't hear me. She looks up and says "I can't, that's my friend."

I said, "Ok, but we're doing a lesson. we need to have the same numbers." She replied, ""But that's not fair, she has three kids! I'm NOT going to underpay her. She needs that money."

I was amazed (once again)

I had to ACTUALLY say "It's not real money." Which did almsot nothing, because she replied "I'm not going to do that to her. She's a mother, and she needs it. Why should she have to suffer?" LIKE IT WAS REAL MONEY!!!

No comments: