Monday, September 08, 2008

"What does that mean?"

Today, a student asked me for some email assistance. She said "Would you know why this attachment won't open?" It was some attachment to an email from Nigeria. Someone wanted to send her "a large sums of cash money" (actual quote). She hadn't read the email, so we both laughed when I read that line. (Hint: she obviously knows a bit about the internet and email if she knew about this scam.)

I told her that whatever the attachment was, it was probably wasn't good since it was attached to THIS email. Then I explained why an attachment wouldn't open: "Maybe it looks like it's not opening but is, as in the case of a virus. Or, the computer doesn't recognize what type of file it is." She mentioned something about never having this problem when opening other attachments. (Hint: She's opened other email attachments before.)

Then she asked about why these junk emails were sent to her email address. I showed her the "full headers", and all the emails listed in the "to:" box. She said "Ahh, I usually have that option set on my home computer, so I can see who sent the email and who was receiving it." (Hint: She knows the basics about reading email headers.)

Now here comes the purpose of this post...

Then, she says "For example, what about this email?" She clicks on an email, and reads the subject, "It says 'Let me bang you tonite'. What does that mean?" I'm thinking "How can she not know what that means?" and I realize, she does know. She just wanted me to "explain" it.

Ah, yes, one of the "great" experiences of being a teacher... the flirt.

I say "Well, I think that's a post for an adult website. You know.. sex." She says "Oh, really? Wow. I wonder what it says?" I reply "It's best to just delete those, as they're usually infested with pop-ups and viruses."

Seriously... I mean, COME ON! "What does that mean?"

No comments: