Wednesday, March 03, 2004

"But I need this right now!"

Today, we had a job fair for the students. So, of course, almost everyone was rushing at the last minute to get their resumes finished and printed, even though we've been telling them to be ready. One girl came in in jeans and a t-shirt, NOT dressed for an interview. When asked why she wasn't dressed properly, she said she "didn't feel like meeting with people." and "didn't want to work with those people." (Her mom works for one of the companies, and doesn't like her job) So I said "They have lots of jobs, not just the one your mom has. And, there are other companies there." I couldn't believe she didn't think about that. So, knowing she lives nearby, I recommended she go home and change, whcih she did.

Another student decided that she didn't have to work on her resume in class, because her mother "has a computer at home and she can do it for me." Today, she showed up with a CD and asked me to print it out. When I went to open the file, there was no resume. She called her mom, and I suggested her mom e-mail it to me, instead of faxing it so I can print a clean copy. I waited for about 15 minutes, no resume. She tells me that she wants to go, and have I printed out her resume yet. I tell her that her mom still hasn't sent it. She called her mom again, who said "What? You need it right away? Can't you wait?" The student asked her to e-mail it now because she can't interview without it. So the mom says she'll do it in a few minutes. I tell the student to go ahead, and I'll wait for the resume, print it out and bring it to her. An hour later, I get a phone call. "I'm sending it now. As soon as I hang up, I go on the internet and send it."

Approximately TWO minutes later, I get another call. "Did you get it? Were you able to print it out? Is it fine?" I'm amazed that this person who originally took her time to send the resume, is now RUSHING me! I tell her that I need to fix it a bit, and she asks "Why? What's wrong with it?" I have to tell her that she mispelt a bunch of words (like "New York") a few times, and that I'm trying to fix the format to make it look neat. She goes on to tell me about her program not having "those advanced functions". The asks me to hurry, because her daughter called her to ask her to hurry.

Reminds me of the old saying "An emergency on YOUR part, does not consistute a reason to rush on MY part."

No comments: