Thursday, November 20, 2003

ARRG!

Sometimes we have problems with the server and can't print. So I tell the students "Don't print. Your computer will probably crash and you'll lose your unsaved work." And everytime, EVERYTIME, someone raises their hand and says "Excuse me, teacher, but my computer froze." And it's ALWAYS because they tried to print, WITHOUT saving first. Then another one. It's like with Jedi knights, there are always two. The one who doesn't learn by instruction, and the one who doesn't learn by example (usually IMMEDIATELY after the first).

Then, after seeing the first few test monkeys obviously fail, another student tries to print and their work goes through (the server briefly started working again). This irks me for two reasons:

1) they tried to print after I told them not to

and

2) without a doubt, WITHOUT A DOUBT, another two "jedi" students will try to print and the server will be down again, and they lose their work.

Damn Jedi!

No comments: