Tuesday, November 18, 2003

I hate the complainers.

I don't mind helping a student to do some work, even if they're very slow. But I hate it when someone comes in and complains on and on. "I can't find my disk. Oh, Hell no! Somebody stole it. Why is no one helping me find my disk? I'm going to kick someone's ass. I swear I'm going to quit this shit!" Then, when I find the disk right where it was supposed to be, the student is totally non-apologetic, "Good!"

And to top it off, she constantly asks for help. Maybe she's never heard the saying "You attract more flies with honey than you do with vinegar". If you're the type of person who always seems to need help, wouldn't you naturally develop a pleasant personality? Oh, and on top of that, when she asks for help, she wants it now! If I'm helping someone else, she'll say something like, "Why are you not helping me?" or "See? This is why I can't do my resume, I don't get any help!"

The other day another student got mad at me because I wasn't helping her. I told her that I wasn't teaching that class, I was just there to help with computer problems. She gave me a dirty look, then said "I see how it is. You only help your favorite students! You're helping her, but not me." I then made it perfectly clear that I can't tell her not to do her classwork, because I'm wasn't the teacher for that class. That I was only helping resolve computer problems. She still acted indignant and told me that I wasn't being fair. Meanwhile, she wouldn't ask her question to the instructor, who was maybe 5 feet away. I called the instructor over, but she said "No, I don't need help." Sometimes you just can't win.

No comments: