Tuesday, January 27, 2004

Appropriateness.

There are certain things you can and can't do in certain environments. If you're at work, you can't make sex jokes. If you're at Church, you can't act jump and run aroundaround like a gorilla. When you're in school, you can't shop for dildoes on the internet. Sorry, that's just the way it is.

Yes, two of my students were talking about dildoes. WHILE I was helping one with her computer! Now, when people are talking about personal issues, I try not to overhear, I ignore and play stupid. I don't want them to feel uncomfortable. So while they were talking, I acted as if i didn't know what they were talking about. After a minute or two, I moved around in case they forgot I was there. They continued talking about there dildoes/vibrators. The features, the colors, the feel, the sizes! THE SIZES! Then, as if that weren't bad enough, the other student (not the one I was helping), decides to shop online for a dildo. I was amazed. I gave her a minute or two to think "Oh! I forgot the teacher was here!" But no, she kept on.

I was about to say something, when she looks over at me (I thought "Whew! Ok she finally realized I'm here." NOPE!) and asks "How do I find this store?" While POINTING at the screen with a dildo on it! So I said "Maaaybe, you shouldn't be looking at that in here." and then proceeded to explain that some online stores don't actually have "stores". Ok, I figure it's over. No, the two students begin talking about FEATURES! I even heard mention of a "knob"! The second student even talked about how she was tired of the one she has and wanted "something special"! "SOMETHING SPECIAL"! Holy cow! And they both realized I was there, so.... I don't know. I.... just.... don't.... know.

No comments: