Tuesday, February 10, 2004

Did their brains shut down?

One of the main problems I have with people who do drugs is their judgment. Or rather, their lack of good judgment. Today I had two students, let's call them "Biggie and Tupac", come in for the last hour and a half of class. They just walked in like it was nothing. Biggie gave me a quick, guilty look, but otherwise they were joking and talking loud like there was nothing wrong. Nothing.

As they walked by me, I got a HUGE whiff of pot. I was so shocked that someone would come into a class smelling THAT strong of pot. Then Biggie calls me over (loudly) "HEY TEACHER! COME OVER HERE A MINUTE!" She had typed something (a few lines in a letter) and wanted me to see if it was needed anything else. It was missing a lot of information (who it's going to, HER name, what it was about, etc..) As I'm looking at it, I again got the whiff. I had to do something. I went to the office to ask if there was a standard way that I should handle this situation. I was told to send them students home, and have them speak to the "higher ups" tomorrow morning.

I first called Biggie out to the hallway. I told her that she reeked of marijuana, at which point she cut me off, laughing, to say she "didn't do anything" that she "was just in 'that environment' so it's okay." I told her that she couldn't stay, she restated that she didn't do anything. I told her that she can't bring that in this environment. She said ok, and that she'd leave.

Next up was Tupac. She took a different approach. She acted as if 1. she didn't know what I was talking about, and 2. she were a bit offended that I mentioned anything. It didn't faze me one bit. So, without accusing them of anything, I sent them home.

It just bothers me that they thought it would be alright to not only show up SUPER late, then to show up SUPER late, REEKING of marijuana, AND behaving like they did.

And they actually think they're two of the better students here.

No comments: