Friday, February 06, 2004

Online identity.

When teaching Internet basics, I usually mention to my students that there are times they shouldn't use their real information (name, address, birthday, etc..) because they don't know who or how it'll be used. Suddenly, 85% of the class NEEDS to hide their information. ALL OF IT. They don't even want to use their real names. "I used my cousin's first name and my daughter's married last name, and I'm using my old address..." Some want to know "Can anyone see me now?", like they're being stalked.

And when I mention IP addresses and how they're unique... WHOA BOY! Suddenly everyone's paranoid. "Why do they allow that?", "Isn't that illegal?", "What happened to my right to anonymity?", "I don't want anyone knowing I'm online!", "Can't I hide that information?" So I'll ask if they block Caller ID. Most say they don't, it's just a phone number.. And I explain that it basically the same thing.

I usually explain how everything can be watched, that the important thing is to keep track of who you give your info to, and how they intend to use it.

No comments: