Thursday, June 24, 2004

WHAT THE? HUH!

This happened the other day... It was the end of the day, and one of the students (let's call her "Dizzy") had just left the classroom, when she suddenly came back in looking confused. "How do I get out of here?" I wasn't sure what she meant. I thought she might be joking. Another student sardonically asked her, "Remember how you got in here? Then go out the same way." Dizzy was STILL confused. She really didn't know how to get out.

Now Dizzy is a student who has a high school diploma, so she isn't uneducated. She must have learned how to perform reverse logical operations. I was amazed, just... amazed.

I said to her, "Well, you have two options. The ground floor will leave you on X Street, and another floor will leave you on Y Street." She replied "No I don't want to go to Y Street." Then stared at me for a while, and asked "Well how do I get to X Street?" I said "I just told you." Dizzy replied "But you said there's a floor that goes to Y Street." "And right before that, I said the ground floor leaves you on X Street." I explained. Then she said "Are you sure? Because you said Y Street the first time."

The other student, who was working on something, jumped in "No, he said the ground floor, I heard him. Just go to the ground floor. That way." and pointed to the elevator. Dizzy, somehow still not sure, pointed in the SAME direction and asked "This way?" The other student said "Yes. That way." After Dizzy left, she said, "She always like that. She does her classwork, but for everyday things, she's always like... dumb." I didn't want to agree, so I just didn't say anything. I couldn't disagree.

No comments: