Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Food and drinks.

In my lab, as in 99.99999997% of computer labs around the world, I don't allow food or drinks at the computers. That's just plain common sense. But so many of my students decide that they are "grown" enough that they can do whatever they want.

They other day, I heard someone pop open a soda can, I turn and see a student (let's call her "Lola") drinking a soda while at her computer. Before I can say anything, she says "Mister, I'm a grown-ass woman. I can eat my food and not make a mess." I replied, "What if your son said 'I'm big enough to eat my dinner in bed and not make a mess.' What would you say?" She quickly said "No, because he WILL drop food." I said "By accident or on purpose?" Lola looked at me, got up and walked to a nearby table that I have just for that reason. I said "I'm not trying to be a tyrant, but accidents happen. I've had more than five keyboards get messed up in the past year because of food and drinks being spilled on them. All accidents. That's why you should be 'grown' enough to eat where 'grown' people are supposed to eat, not wherever your 'grown' self KNOWS you shouldn't eat."

Lola just smiled, and said "I'm still a grown-ass woman." So I ended it with "If the computer gets messed up, will your 'grown-ass' self pay to fix it?" She didn't have to answer, we both knew.

No comments: