Monday, February 28, 2005

"That's not a problem, is it?"

The other day, I come back to my lab, and I find the Shrimp (another teacher) in the lab, getting ready for his class. He says "Hey," in a casual manner, yet he's acting slightly nervous. As I sit down at my computer, he says "Oh, I had a problem logging in with the default profile, so I used our teacher's login. That's not a problem, is it?"

The default login has extra security to avoid students damaging the computers, changing the settings, installing programs/spyware, etc.. The teacher's login has more lower security settings, to allow the teachers to demonstrate certain actions/settings/etc.. via the projector. This is done purposely because many times in the past, our computers have gotten to the point where they either no longer worked, or had to be completely wiped and restored, which takes a lot of time and effort.

So when the Shrimp, having complained of damaged computers in the past, asks me if it's a problem that students use the teacher's login, I naturally say "Yes." He then proceeds to tell me, "Oh, well I only did that because I couldn't login in with the default profile." Which is total BS. I replied "That's funny because before I stepped out a few minutes ago, I had them all logged in. Couldn't have been more than twenty minutes ago."

The Shrimp starts to get a panicked look in his eye, and says "Uh... yeah, really? Wow... That IS weird. But it's not a problem is it?" I said "Yes, it is. But if you want to.. ." He quickly answers "Ok, great!" Then I add "Sure, as long as you take full responsibility for whatever happens, then that's your decision. Just remember to log off, and make sure everything is alright at the end of class." Of course he didn't do anything I said, because the next day, all those computers were still logged in with the teacher's login. And, on one computer, someone had installed a bunch of Yahoo's applications (Messenger, Mail, Companion, etc..), AOL Instant Messenger, a few games, as well as a bunch toolbars and other spyware.

The Shrimp ticks me off sometimes. Scratch that, make it "a lot of the time".

PS. Another student told me that she doesn't like the way he teaches. She said when he's not talking loud, he's yelling. And that he looks like a hyperactive chihuahua. It made me feel better about my dislike of him.

No comments: