Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Horse Mouth

This is a term I use for people who talk a) very loud, and b) very "street".

I have one student who every now and then, makes a professional call (either for an apartment, a job opening, an appointment, etc..), and she always gets at least one hang up.

Typical call (and I'm guessing the other side of the conversation):

HMouth: HELLO? Y'ALL GOT THAT APARTMENT READY NOW?
Person: Hello? Who is this?
HMouth: YEAH, I'M THA' ONE THAT CALLED YESTERDAY ABOUT THA' APARTMENT.
*click
HMouth: HELLO?

(HMouth calls back)
HMouth: YEAH, I JUST CALLED. I'M CALLING ABOUT THA' APARTMENT.
Person: uhhmm, can you call back tomorrow?
HMouth: TOMORROW? YEAH, OKAY, WHATEVA. BUT CAN I...
*click
HMouth: HELLO?

HMouth: I DON'T KNOW WHAT UP WIT DEZE PEOPLE? IT'S LIKE DEY DON'T WANT TO RENT THEY'S APARTMENT OR SUMTIN'! IF DEY DON'T WANT TO RENT, WHY DEY PUT THAT SHYT IN THE PAPER? YOU KNOW WHAT AH'M SAYING? AAAAIIITE!

Calls for job openings tend to go the same way.

And I always tell her "Try to talk a little lower, people tend not to like it when they're being shouted at." But she always goes back to "Horse Mouthing".

No comments: